Sunday, November 3, 2013

What's the worst they can say? Do it Anyway!

      I am sorry for not posting on here in awhile.  I have been going through a rough patch, but have taken a large step that will definitely help me on this journey.
      I recently submitted an essay I wrote to several holistic/spiritual online e-zines.  So far two have complimented yet rejected it, but I'm going to keep sending it.  I believe in it and I figure if I believe strongly in it, someday, somebody will.
      In addition, I just out sent a short story that has been milling around in my computer files for years.  I loved this story when I wrote it, but after shopping it around to too many writing groups and having a bomb shelter's worth of varying opinions on it, I gave up on it.  I just couldn't look at the story objectively without someone else's voice writing it.
     I have since gone rouge and dropped out of those groups and one day ventured to show a trusted friend the story.  She loved it and other than a few style issues did not think I had to rework the entire premise to please someone else.  She encouraged me to send this and other stories currently on hibernation to editors.  What's the worst they could say? No?
    So since then, I have been sending my stories out and several of them have been published.  I have gained more confidence and realized that rejection is just one bump.
    I brought this point up to the positive thinking class I take on Saturdays...the instructor added to the  point saying that not everything is going to resonate with everyone.  There are 7 billion people in the world.  What if the story only resonates with 1 million?
    I'll take the 1 million.
    What's the worst they can say? No? :)
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment