Sunday, July 6, 2014

Little Things Beneath the Depths

Today I took a SUP yoga class at the Endless SUP Company in Belmar NJ.  SUP stands for standup paddle board and if anything is a study in yin and yang it's this.  When you do yoga on a board gliding over the water, you have to take each step slow and appreciate each movement or you could fall.  But at the same time, if you are too careful and hesitant, you may miss out on the fun because you are too afraid to fall.  It's a complete balance.
      Other than learning about balance, I noticed something while partaking in the SUP yoga class today.  As I laid on my belly on the board, I looked into the water….there I saw two different crabs and what looked like a little family of jellyfish.  The crab blended in with the rocks and the jelly fish were almost translucent. I stared at them for awhile, watching the jellyfish puff in and out and move effortlessly throughout the water.  They almost sparkled a glitter green.
      As I took the class, I kept looking over to stare at them, never noticing till today how they could almost switch between an outline of purple or green.  I was stuck on this board in the middle of Shark River, nowhere to go and nowhere to be.  And I was grateful that just for a few moments, I could witness something I would have never noticed before.
      When people think of jellyfish, they think of "stinging" and "pain" or even "gross."  In this moment, I thought of them as beautiful and even cute.  It is hard for me to deal with contrast in my life and to sometimes see the beauty in things.  But here, I saw beauty in something that sometimes deemed ugly.  And if I took one step too quick, I would have missed it. :)
     

No comments:

Post a Comment